To celebrate eight decades as an information hub for the construction industry, The Building Centre will host its first ‘Open Day’; a full day of free events and an evening party to recognise a significant milestone. CIC will be supporting this event and are running two BIM events looking at the Level 2 Requirements for the BIM Task Group, there will be plenty going on during the day so please do come along and enjoy the festivities.
Bringing together all professions from the Built Environment, The Building Centre’s Open Day will offer a packed programme of events, activities and networking opportunities. An anniversary publication will showcase The Building Centres rich heritage and offer an insight into what might shape its future.
- The Construction Industry Council brings David Philp, Head of BIM Implementation, Cabinet Office, to The Building Centre to discuss the governments BIM strategy and explore the BIM task Groups Level 2 requirements.
- The European debut of Buckminster Fuller Live, a one man show by American actor/filmmaker Noel Murphy will take place on the day. The show brings the architect, engineer and inventor Buckminster Fuller to life and has been created through collaboration and conversations with Buckminster Fuller’s students, devotees and visionaries. Patrick Bellew, founding director of Atelier Ten, has bought the show to London with support from 12 leading names in the design and construction industry.
- Archigram Revisited will bring Sir Peter Cook and Dennis Crompton together to discuss their highly influential work. Archigram was awarded the RIBA Gold Medal in 2002 on the strength of its conceptual ideas. This is a rare opportunity to hear first hand from this avant-garde architectural group.
- The Construction Youth Trust will be celebrating four years of Lottery funding with a cheque presentation from the Big Lottery Fund and a series of practical workshops.
- Trimo will be bringing a taste of Formula 1 to the Open Day with the McLaren F1 Racing Car Simulator available to test drive – members from the McLaren team will be on hand to answer questions.
- The International Building Press (IBP) will be launching ‘The IBP Speed Dating Show’ – a chance for professionals to meet with leading editors and journalists within the UK’s Built Environment.
Other events include book launches from the RIBA bookshop, meet the manufacturers, a film screening of How Much Does Your Building Weigh Mr. Foster, an NLA breakfast talk, Drawing Workshops, a Social Media Clinic, Architecture walks, a UKGBC photography competition, have-a-go activities and many more. CPD certificates are available for all events if required.
Events can be booked online via www.buildingcentre.co.uk/80th from next week. A high level of interest is expected so attendees are advised to book in advance and arrive on time to secure a place.